Saturday, May 18, 2013

Wore my NRA fleece thingee today...


I know nothing about fleece - to me that was always a sheep skin with the hair still attached, I am so old. Don't get excited I went out to rake the clippings up from the the yard. Seems I had not made my wife happy leaving them when I went off to shoot and visit the YMCA. It is a damp cool here in the Great Northwest.

I cut the front yard since there was rain on the way, but it was a dry as it was ever going to get. So I put my gear into the van after washing off the mower and putting it away. And off to the range. Range 15.  When I sign in they offer point fifteen, which I pointed out that the old man always used. I have been calling him the old man for about twelve years (sometimes I don't look in a mirror much). They told me if he wasn't here before they opened he wasn't coming, and they are probably correct. I took that point and set up.

It wasn't going to be a lot of shooting for me, I figured sixty rounds of 22LR. Enough to check my marksmanship, just enough. And it was going to rain and the YMCA called - plus I was going to clean up the yard after all my good times. So I shot the Green quick AQT, five rounds per target, standing, sitting open legged, and prone.  Then I started walking the line to check out the other shooters, since there were three of us on the pistol side of the range - over half the shooters were rifle users, and there was a waiting list on the rifle positions.

So I looked, talked and enjoyed the day without gunning down hundreds of innocents, no matter what the anti-gun crowd will tell you. I finished my AQT and was rushed on my last three shots, which seem to have been my best. Making me think that I am thinking too much about each shot, just enough would be best. Or so I say.

Pack up and head off to the YMCA, mentioning to the fine staff at the range that having black coffee would be a good thing. Just a light workout at the YMCA, 3,1 miles of rowing, and five miles of bicycle machine. Then I went to fill up the van, and it cost me sixty-five dollars - what is going on? Is the dollar sinking that fast? Yep, seems to be so.

While at the YMCA I talked to another old man, about his desire to buy a pistol for protection, he is getting training, hasn't purchased a firearm yet, and really hasn't gotten through the shooting another person yet. I did ask him the important point, how many times has he been mugged, robbed or assaulted? Zero, and he is over seventy. So much of his information was wrong about the local laws, and he is cautious about trusting the sales people for advice. Still he is much sharper than Michael Moore advising Bill Maher about home self defense. It is on video, don't waste your time.

1 comment: