Friday, October 5, 2012

Death by recliner and remote control...

I was once young and skinny, strong and brave - and I read everything interesting... once an.  Like most boys I grew up and into manhood. Which was defined by my father and other older men around me, teachers, uncles, preachers, neighbors and television -- and all the books I was still reading. So, I grew up to the point my father no longer used his belt on me, he would talk to me and reach me, mostly. To me I could see the early Americans growing older, experienced and feeling ready for independence and getting on with Life.

I had many great years of doing all the stuff I wanted, and my duties and family permitted and began to feel like it could never change. Again, just like my country, the United States of America.  See where I am going?
I could be wonderful and most perfect for years and years, but I was already slipping into bad habits that would need corrected, medicated and cut away. The body doesn't perform the same, the mind wanders, and one gets weaker   but you ignore a reality because everyone marvels at how much more you are doing than they... just like our country.

Then one day, you are really OLD, and can't do what was normal - just a three mile jog was impossible. How does that happen? More doctors, more medicines, more body falling apart - being a super anything is a joke. But you can be nice, and you can adjust... Just waiting for the day of your destruction.

I bought a fitness book long ago and far away. The Royal Canadian Air Force Exercise Plans for Physical Fitness, for a dollar. This edition was 1962 and it was never taxing enough for me to do more than just read it. Well, now I have decided to start on Chart 1, and go through all the Charts until I can't. I need that to build back from where my recliner and age have put me... always someone else's fault isn't it? The country needs exactly the same treatment, tough love, and take care of only the important things. No more lovely buildings for courts... no more Big Bird financed by money borrowed from China.  Get out of the recliner and back on the track, back into work and living and loving.



2 comments:

  1. Yep, as we age, working out DOES become an issue... I can't run, but I DO walk, and try to get out and move...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are moving, so I am not worried about you. But for the life of me I cannot understand why the folks wandering the corridors of power in Washington, DC can't see they couldn't win WWII again. Not the way they are now.

    ReplyDelete