Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What we leave behind... is what we are...

Studying the Assyrians, and they didn't leave behind much except the terror of being City Breakers, and stone monuments to the warriors, their chariots, the siege engines and the conquests. The Sub-Asia peoples give us statues of near naked women and men wrapped in lust or something... The current Syrian Prince and peoples give us news highlights and fear of terrorists with deadly gas and the current Bollywood gives us several cinematic adventures and romances and lots of dances.

This thought got started on my wife's simple question, have I had breakfast, and her offer to make me some, I told her eggs and toast. Not normal behavior, I am really a gruel person, but the protein in the eggs will be fine, and a couple slices of toast with butter are not too many. Breakfast at her pace means my toast will be cold, the eggs properly runny yoked, and she won't sit down to breakfast until mine is cooling on the table and she can complain about it. I did go to shave and ponder why I look so old for a real age of 7.8 years younger than my paper age.

I sit and have breakfast, and spread my butter, cold, on the toast, cold, and it doesn't melt into the toast - but I don't mind, I am here for her, she will never wonder why it isn't perfect if I never mention that it isn't. The eggs are just right, still hot from the grill, yoke breaking with my fork and running making everything covered in liquid gold. Three, good number, I break my toast and mop up the yoke from the plate.  She says I do it just like my father, and she is right, I do it just like my father - I imagine he did it just like his father. They didn't waste much of the bounty on the table, they were very close to where it all came from and properly thankful for God's goodness.

They didn't decide that chickens needed to be.... or that wild critters were... and that wetlands couldn't be drained, since they were part of a swamp reclamation area that produced tons of good food from the rich peat once un-dampened. Dad hunted squirrels, for extra meat in the stew. boarded in the town to go to high school. Different lives than mine. All I bring forward is grace, and mopping the yoke from the plate until the yoke and toast are gone - and thanking the cook for her care of the breakfast and my enjoyment of our conversation and memories of the past.

1 comment:

  1. You also bring a history of thinking and working forward Earl, never forget that!

    ReplyDelete