Monday, February 25, 2013

I have been away, trying to reduce the death by recliner..

So Friday night I turned the three computers off, and the link, and went to Ariel, Washington to the Wolverton Mt. Gun Club for two full days of Appleseed. The weather started with snow flakes, water everywhere, gusting winds and cold. But we waded it out, and got into the reason and the organization, safety, rules to shoot by and then we got the rifles out and starting shooting.

Two ranges, plenty of instructors for the brave 19 that showed up, lent some materials and a bit of ammunition. You have heard there seems to be a shortage? For totally unknown reasons the line I was working had faster times completing training and shooting, so the normal Time Monkey was hiding from the chill in the air and puddles, too. I was line boss in the morning, 2nd Strike during lunch, and safety officer/instructor in afternoon.

Fine instructor dinner down the road in Cougar, where I also found a place to shower, sleep and watch the show about who is the best chest pounding combat pairs. I learned long ago in very hot places the quiet ones you never notice are the baddest.




 You do know that I just would love to have an M1A with a rail and a scout mounted scope, with about six ten round magazines, I promise I won't bring it to New York, Governor Coumo. Now if I can just get Mayor Bloomberg to buy my ammunition for it. Best be some very good letters to send to them.
Next day, back at the refresher and instruction, more shooters come out and some folks change lines, Rifleman patches being earned by paying attention and persistence. Time Monkey still no where to be found, I shift to the other range in the afternoon after lunch. I give the Known Distance information for their future shooting skills. Everything wraps up well, about five Riflemen made, loud Huzzahs! mark the ceremony, I am off starting to clean up so we can pack out.

Finally, finished I get into the Caravan and head back for the drive home. Two and a half hours in Sunday evening traffic, stop for more coffee, and hang on until the welcoming lights of home. I feel much like the chainsawed Bigfoot that was getting moist and mossy, but very happy for the difference we made with the new and experienced shooters. I got to do one 1907 sling presentation for the one shooter using such, and it really worked for him after, so he is on his way.

2 comments:

  1. Well done sir, and thanks for going one more round to educate the shooters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolly good! And thanks for being an ambassador for "our thing!"

    ReplyDelete