Saturday, January 12, 2013

My sister says the government isn't going to take...

my firearms. Which is wonderful, I don't have to fear my government anymore, she is heavily influencing her Congressperson and State Senators to make sure the government doesn't exceed its authority and take my guns. Well, maybe she didn't but she does support my dangerous weapons because she knows I am only a fat old fool and those sharp Black masked SWAT team types can take me down so quick... or she just believes in goodness.  Of it all, I hope it is goodness she believes in.

She has much confidence in the government, maybe because she is supporting them, thinks they could some day live up to their potential or are honorable or can read and understand the Constitution of the United States. She is a very good person, and expects others to be so, too.  I am not a good person, but I am trying to be a better one. I know I am cynical, and don't believe the best of everyone - especially those that seek power and money.

I do believe in the general goodness of Mankind, provided they are safe and most needs are met and they can earn their way. And they do.

Now my sister will be sure of her government, and its goodness, and that she doesn't have any evil black assault rifles - and since she believes in me - that I also don't have any, and knowing me, that I have little interest in them personally. But she would likely want to talk me into surrendering them to the stupid government, instead of laying waste to my neighborhood in a futile resistance to their wonderful intentions. I did say she was good people, didn't I?

She likes archery, that fine weapon of long ago and such skill and only harming those that got in the way of the arrows. The picture of the longbowmen is of Agincourt,  in France and the French Knights didn't love them. English kings and princes did, they were cheap to feed and train, and were there at royal command and for the rape and the looting.

True the longbow was a killer, it like the assault rifle was a long to medium distance weapon, and for when the enemy army made of footmen and knights got too close those long stakes were needed as a way to slow down and disable the steed that the gallant knight was charging, charging and charging upon, See they was heavily armoured, often beautifully armored, but that stuff was heavy and a big, bold horse was a heaven sent animal for the gallant knight. Now, I am sure you have heard 'get down off your high horse!' that was the battle cry of the English foot, archers and soldiers. They believed in a fair fight. The knights not so much. They were special, and even treated the enemy knights as much more special than the common foot of either army - they were just to be ridden down, and ridden over. A live captured knight could be held for ransom. Common foot could be made to dig moats or test the depth of the water.  If you were of another faith, they could be made slaves and branded and sold off.

Anyway when it came to defeating a heavily armored knight bound by lack of horse to ride, the effect of gravity, and maybe mired in mud (infantry loves mud!) the best weapon to put as many of them totally out of the war was the mallet you used to drive in the stakes that slowed down and killed the charging horses. Yep, the mallet - just a tool, they did have short swords and long dirks, but the mallet was something awesome at the end of a good swing upon a joint, head - a bell ringer on a helmet. Not as pretty as the warhammer of the knights and the Persians, but still effective.

So I have bows, and arrows, and other tools and knives.... I don't feel completely naked, which in the terms of knighthood meant without arms or sword.  But you know if your community can't have an auto or semi-auto assault rifles - then you may be stuck with what ever they can invent or modify from the world around them. On Okinawa they invented karate, when their Overlords decided that they must be disarmed, and Chuck Norris was only flawed by being white - Bruce Lee wasn't flawed at all, he really understood martial arts and the potential of the human.

Not being enamoured of evil black plastic firearms, I was not likely to purchase an assault rifle, but would likely accept one freely given from a fellow citizen when they got too old to carry it, care for it and shoot it. But being a student of HISTORY, the real stuff not the cable channel, I thought I would look at what Home Depot has in the line of evil black carbon fiber and steel.  Found for less than thirty-five dollars the fine example below  - it is black, has a skull and cross bones, the word Dead On and the name of Annihilator.  Works for me, never unloaded, full auto, and finely crafted, and has a pointy end.

2 comments:

  1. I am now famous! Thank you! Thank you for thinking that I am also a good person. You do understand that my students may disagree with that assessment ... until they are out in the "real world". Anyhow, I do trust you with firearms of all types. I do not, however, trust me with the same since I have never used one. Forward we go into this country of so many different viewpoints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS an interesting tool Earl! And yes, I'm cynical over here too... sigh

    ReplyDelete