Friday, July 27, 2012

Because I am not an expert...

Listening to media personalities and politicians pontificating on firearms and firearms laws is like listening to eighth graders pontificate on sex.

They sure don’t let lack of any first hand knowledge dampen their enthusiastically-held opinions.
The above was from Tam, or VFTFP (which took me forever to link in my mind). But it and some other reading here and there reminded me of one of my problems with big magazines on military style rifles. Having had to use the M14 and M16 and M16A2 in places where people (enemies) want to hurt me I have always thought the magazines get in my way of getting as low and small as I like to become as a target (invisible works as well as on an alternate universe - hard to achieve).

Pardon me, my wife is traveling in Canada and our telephone is ringing and I want to ignore it. Political hacks, computers or charities asking us to give a little bit more. And I pay for that connection.

Okay, as I wandered the internet I thought about how many rifles, machine guns and light weapons had magazines that feed from the left or right or above the bolt. What we use now isn't always the best, it is just what exists. I think springs are better, but there is the 'look' of the firearm, and the pretty of the soldier so adjustments would be made for many reasons. The soldier just wants something that works: lighter, and better in accuracy than the shooter's skill set, and effective on target.

My personal choice is the M1 rifle. I only shoot, don't design nor worry about my good looks. It has History and meets all my needs. It even has wood used as a stock, darn near beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, that first comment had me rolling laughing Earl! :-) Great post!

    ReplyDelete