Friday, January 3, 2020

First visit to the YMCA of 2020...

  Picked up some medication and I noted that for some reason, all these sick folks gather at the pharmacy to catch each other's illness while they await their medication. Likely been doing that for centuries. Maybe home delivery is a better way to get them and control the spread of illness. I stopped quickly at the YMCA before I got my MRI.
   As a I caught up with the older Airborne elder, he told me on of his heart surgeons was looking for someone to teach his college son marksmanship before the Army got hold of him. Seems he is in Oregon in the ROTC program.  I figure he is trying to get a leg up, to be ahead of the rest of his class. So I gave the old paratrooper my card so they could contact me to talk about some familiarization. Have to see what he wants, has time for and where he would like to shoot.
   If he wants to come to Tacoma for a weekend run, I have the rifle, ammunition and local range where he can shoot. There is too much magic in shooting now days. Everyone thinks everything is licensed, regulated, or a professional expert instructors are difficult to find. Maybe it is, we don't draft everyone like in the old days, not everyone has served in the military, the military training is okay, just okay until you get to what your regular unit wants from the soldier and is willing to invest in your training, practice and skill enhancements. The military will almost always go to higher tech and more explosive rounds first. But the new qualification system looks promising.
    No telling what is going to happen about this favor. I am willing to talk, plan, execute for a day anyway, and I can always recommend learning in Oregon with an Appleseed or on a local range with a local NRA or CMP instructor. The next Appleseed weekend around here is 8-9 February, 2020 in Redmond.  Like I said too much 'magic' in how to learn, set, up and experience and practice. No one knows now, and experts are all busy turning out experts in whatever has to do with firearms. But most shooters don't feel uncomfortable sharing the knowledge, some ammunition and opinions. There are lawyers, laws, and liabilities but if the shooter can't learn and follow the four safety rules, I have nothing easier to teach him.

1 comment:

  1. Good plan Earl. We may not be 'professional gunnies', but we know a thing or three about hitting what you're aiming at safely...

    ReplyDelete