Saturday, December 1, 2012

I am such a old guy...

I left my wife and went off to shoot a few rounds and talk to other shooters about their firearms and things. Haven't seen seven young folks in sniper prone behind their bipod'd high speed reach out and get them rifles like I did today. I asked if they were from the same unit, but it wasn't, they just shared the moment and the idea. They were all zeroing their scopes at a hundred yards. Very tight groups and way above my skill set, but then I don't really use optics at all. I confirmed my zero at twenty-five, did some NPOA proofs (to my foolish mind, needs reminded) then moved the target out to 100 meters for more work on Rifleman's cadence. Nothing to brag about, just enough to make me smile about the  results and the improvements as I settled into the shot sequence and better habits. I guess the best thing was the gentle jog back from the 100 yard target line because I feared I might be holding up the next course of fire. Nothing better for getting my heart racing, especially before I shoot. Oh, I know some cute younger lady could, but I don't want to be any trouble, the World is already in a fix I didn't cause.


When I returned home I found my retired wife had gone shopping for our son, and would spend the rest of the day away. So I put the video of Deadman's Walk on the VCR, and watched carefully. I think Corporal Call is playing Sherlock Holmes on CBS now. I had started the day with watching Defiance about the brothers that saved thousands of Jews by not cooperating with the established authority. I do like those stories. Still, I am only being entertained by the reminder, no real people were harmed nor died in the production of the film, the Historic facts were much uglier a reminder of the Evil that dwells in the hearts of men.

It has been raining around here, but the good Lord often will send strong winds at the range instead of drenching downpours, so I have remained blest (yes, I like spelling it that way, because Microsoft and Google don't). Have heard more rumbles of discontent with Windows8, and I still haven't conquered my current software. But I am very happy with my relationship and understanding of my M1, a very fine battle rifle.

1 comment:

  1. Still minute of bad guy Earl, and THAT is what counts! :-)

    ReplyDelete