Saturday, December 8, 2012

I am for some great things, but I can't convince you...

I so really like representative government, working for us. I can't convince those that get into government to be what they should be -- they get off center and screw it up, instead of nailing it.

I didn't want to follow a family profession, Methodist minister, sure that no one would listen to me about how to save themselves from whatever judgement awaits beyond, they haven't listened to me about excess drinking, drugs, casual sex and general stupidity. So, although I know what I should do in my life, I find the idea of being a pastor beyond my ability. Still, I try to sing hymns, but not to that professional level, just the joyous saved sinner kind.

I convinced a few of the men in my wife's church that I like shooting and I could help them improve and have a good time shooting with them. So we set up to be here today, at Range 15 at 09:30, but I was alone, one had called to cancel last night. The other two were younger and less free to come and go as older worn out fellows. Still there were other shooters and at ten we started shooting.

I have brought my Browning Challenger II, Ruger MarkII and lots of 22LR. I hadn't unlocked and loaded nor shot the Browning in a long time. It showed, I had feeding problems and it was shooting way too low.

For my personal happiness, the Ruger was still on and still fine, I was a bit flaky but that was why practice. Right? Well, I finally was very happy, scheduling another fine day to tune up the Browning, it is so pretty. I packed out, there was a line of shooters wanting a lane. I walked the line looking at form, targets and firearms. Found a very beautiful 1903A1, and another old guy shooting it.

He was shooting the three hundred steel with iron sights, and I watched a bit, I can't hear the clang. So I started off by asking if he was ready to give up that rifle and he started telling me about it. He also reloads, uses his own cast bullets and wanted me to shoot it to see how nice the recoil was, now. I didn't bite at first but another shooter did, and he continued to talk about that rifle and his reload.



I did get swayed to sit down and shoot about ten rounds, at the steel targets at three hundred and paper at a hundred. First time for those sights and I was pleased and happy. But he didn't give up the rifle, but made the shooting part of my day brighter.

I will be back, not that I need a reason to go shoot, but since I can't drag anyone else to the range, I will just go support those attending anyway. Having fun!

2 comments:

  1. And to think that Mother's plans were for you to be a minister and me to be a physician. I have no idea what she planned for Joy and Wynn. How far we all stayed from her desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good day at the range beats 'most' alternatives... :-)

    ReplyDelete