Monday, September 10, 2012

Woke to rain today, God loves me.

Lightly and very politely during the night, the grass is wet, the slugs happy, and Earl may delay front yard maintenance for a bit. My sister is coming to visit, so the grass will be greener tomorrow.

I also had motor vehicle maintenance to have performed, and off the exercise machines and into the van. I don't have enough fresh memory of how the world about me works (the world around me?). I am on Facebook too much to have a real interaction with real people. I drove roads I once biked on to go to work in the South Tacoma Library branch, as I drove by I couldn't tell if it would be open later. Budget problems.

I have a nice young man take my requests, key and gets my mileage and I go off to glance at the Jeeps, which really aren't (power everything? why?). I am quickly attached to the young lady that follows me to make sure I will have my questions answered and can find my way to the salesmen in the tower. I thank her and decide just on my financial diet, there isn't anything made in the USA that I can afford to dream about acquiring. Not in the wheels variety. Mine are all paid for... except for taxes and insurance premiums. I am so old.

I read my kindle, stuck in the days of Merlin, as a child.

As I read I keep thinking that we, the current culture, have little idea of climate conditions long ago and far away - we expect that is was very like it is now. But I keep thinking that Genghis Khan had much good pastures to produce many more Mongol herds, flocks and babies to become conqering barbarians. That kind of thinking gets me seeing the expansion of Germanic tribes, Viking raiders, and such - all because the climate changes, allows more growth, which demands expansion into new areas for exploitation. All because of the charcoal fires buring brightly to make steel. Along with the warming of the north to produce grapes, you get the slow expansion of the mosquitoes, flies, ticks and fleas from the tropical viral breeding grounds that will kill off humans.

Nothing is controllable, ask a bull rider. You have to go with the flow.

The Greatest generation wanted to feed a family of six with one bathroom and one car on one job. They did it. My generation wanted to take a lease on a normal family for a few years and have no more than two children and two and a half baths, and a bed for all, and a television, two jobs and college degrees for everyone, and manageable debt up to the eyeballs. From afar view, the next generation will know less, do more and be entirely unsatisfied in the result -- because History started when they opened their own eyes in comprehension of their centrality - the universe revolves around them, reported immediately on twitter and Facebook. The nicest thing, as the EMP wipes out the digital history of the moment, no one in the future dark ages will burn the bits and bytes to start the fires of destruction, like the library in Alexandria.

No comments:

Post a Comment