Friday, August 31, 2012

Lost in translation and lack of common knowledge...

 From the text of Governor Romney's speech, from Fox News:

"My dad never made it through college, and he apprenticed as a laugh (ph) and plaster carpenter. He had big dreams. He convinced my mom, a beautiful young actress, to give up Hollywood to marry him. And moved to Detroit."

The job was 'lath and plaster carpenter' -- I once knew a man that fed his family on that work. But young folks may not know that profession, although I think Governor Romney knew what his father had started learning. How many speech writers know about lath and plaster?

From my mother's love of stories, and my early reading of legends and myths:

King Cnut set his throne by the sea shore and commanded the tide to halt and not wet his feet and robes. Yet "continuing to rise as usual [the tide] dashed over his feet and legs without respect to his royal person. Then the king lept backwards, saying: 'Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings, for there is none worthy of the King name, but He whom heaven, earth, and sea obey by eternal laws.'

Governor Romney was reaching for me in the audience with this statement: "President Obama promised to begin to slow the rise of the oceans." or he thought that it was an illustration for those fearing the Greens and Global Warming... I like to think he was reaching for me, without saying that President Obama had failed to acknowledge the Lord's singular authority over the Universe - or that they don't teach the lessons of kingship that King Knute understood and demonstrated.

1 comment: