Monday, August 13, 2012

I don't like it personally...

and then the reasonable, white lady, sipping her coffee - tells me that it is time for a conversation about legalizing marijuana. I mute the conversation, for I have decided not to participate in stupidity.

It is a beautiful morning here, I woke my wife earlier as she had asked. She goes to the garden, the tiny one in the backyard that is still mostly grass. Picking sesame leaves and cucumbers, there are beans and tomatoes and other plants there. I think I should thank the Lord, so much from so little, and project my thoughts to growing more, planting the entire yard. How much is possible? Remembering that I am just the guy with the shovel, rake or hoe - my wife is the grower, the farm girl from far away. And where would I put the rabbits, and chickens? Why? because my faith in God is much stronger than my faith in government, I will get more from what I put into the soil, and farm than what I sent to Washington, DC or Olympia. And certainly the sounds of nature and nurture are winners when compared to the rants and poisoned perceptions so professionally polished to strike fear in my life. But I have been frightened of real killers, and got over it and on to other things.

Well, have to start breakfast and exercise - keep moving, keep smiling and find somebody to love more than self. Thank the Lord for He is Good. Take care out there.

5 comments:

  1. Having watched my mother-in-law sickened by chemotherapy while being given anti-nausea suppositories which she never used because she was too much of a lady to do that type of thing, I can see a use for legalizing medical marijuana. Of course, there would be misuse of same, but then, guns are legal and there is misuse of them. The basic logic is the same.

    Regarding taxes: I am starting to think that it is not big government that bothers people as much as the idea that they do not like to pay taxes. I'm not sure if this is true; I'm just putting it out for comment. I know that our father did not like paying taxes because he thought of tax money as his money being taken away from him. Maybe we can go back to pre-income tax days and have the U.S. government "live" on alcohol taxes again. (Read up on how the amendment for income tax helped the prohibition movement.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Earl, and good points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I have always held that the prohibition of alcohol was repealed because the government couldn't get enough tax money on income tax and excise taxes alone, especially during the depression. I would also say that once the income tax camel got his nose into the tent (tax on the rich) the rest of him was sure to follow.

    Dad was correct, if the government makes money, they could make the money they NEEDED and borrow in times of war. But now they tax, create and borrow and have no control of their spending since they always pretend it isn't their fault they don't have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take your points as valid. I think my problem is the fact that I've known and worked with too many people who had needs not created by themselves or their meager lifestyles. By the way, I am now teaching students who did not know that there was a gov't surplus when George Jr. became president. (Yes, I know it wasn't technically a surplus, but the gov't owed less than it brought in at the time.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the budget was balanced income and the outgo, but the debt wasn't being paid down then either. But those that concern themselves about the government and what wonders or not it does, are either looking to change it, or feel they aren't capable of doing it without the government. But people can exist without government. Money isn't real, just the concept shared. Continental Dollars and Confederate Bills won't work now, except to talk about and sell to another interested. As a nation we need to be able to win a war, but not to change a foreign government or leader. The needs of the people are better cared for at the local level, but communications makes them all think they are connected and can know what needs done.

    ReplyDelete