Monday, May 28, 2012

Denkmals... Memorials... Remembering...

Something about remembering, causes dreams again. My dreams were of a much, by about forty plus years, younger man setting off on his adventure into the Empire. Saying good-bye to old friends and family, getting the addresses to write to as some of them were going to college and work in other areas. It wasn't very real to my very real life, but I seem to have used all those same steps in my own life.

I caught this on my way to church yesterday, it reminded me of the marching through the German countryside and seeing the markers of their fallen in every little village, most with only three or four family names, most having died on the Eastern Front against the godless Soviet Union. America has honored the memory of those that died in our wars, they aren't studied or remembered very much, never for how much they gave and considering how we seem to waste the benefit of Freedom on too many calories and pretend sexual perfections and pretensions as our Freedoms are taken away by our fearless (?) leaders.

The memory of the fallen deserves so much more from a grateful nation, but then we would have to truly be grateful. What do the Presidents say as they stand by memorials to wars and warriors fallen that they hid from or protested. I don't think I have ever paid attention to them, I have always taken time to read the names... to remember that something greater than self is worth the price, if we the ones protected thank God and the fallen for all our opportunities to get life right. Y'all try not to waste it - they were really good boys and girls... someone loved them.

2 comments: