Saturday, April 14, 2012

Old dog new tricks...

I am not moving into the high speed world of iPad, iPhones and the like, but I have a Kindle and the library lends eBooks in that format and others. So I wanted to read a book by Elizabeth Moon, and put it on reserve for myself - then asked how I would get it into my Kindle...

First one has to go to a new part of the Library webpage "OVERDRIVE" and set up an account, then browse for desired title then add it to your request list, then wait for email from Library for notice that it is available. Notified, you get seven days (really they go by hours) to download it to your Kindle. You put it in your cart, go to your Kindle account and when you next link up with your Kindle it is magically at the top of your reading list. Hope you didn't forget the title... or you might not recognize it. Read quickly, because it is due to magically disappear one day. I am in the middle of a far away land with good people and heroes, and EVIL nasties... and only my pressing the page forward or back makes it any different from a paperback, and that my library doesn't have all the titles in the UNIVERSe that I want to read. How do we fix that?

How will they weed the collection? Kindle knows how to keep track of my browsing and buying... do I have to wade through all the Romances? Appleseeds everywhere today, I have one for next week in the midst of the state in the middle of windmill country...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information. I'm thinking about e-book readers in the future, and ease of library use is one of my criteria.

    ReplyDelete