Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Finished reading "Lexington and Concord" by Athur B. Tourtellot...

The beginning of the war of the American Revolution -- pretty good read, has some information that I hadn't read before, and is presented differently than Paul Revere's Ride, which is not in the Bibliography for this author. Well cited, with footnotes and maps and illustrations and portraits from the period.

Mostly outside of reading and walking the park with my wife, I spent the day remembering those that stopped living for their country, giving it all up. My obsession with my passing age was well summed up by NFO on his post Facts on Vietnam Service , time is flowing. I was in that war late.

Add caption
But mostly I dwell thinking about Rim Michael Dungey, born in 1946, member of the 4th Infantry Division out of Fort Lewis, Washington - by transport ship to the Republic of Vietnam. Where as an infantryman, grunt, Private First Class he would give up his life to a booby trap? At about the same time I was on my way to Fort Benning's school for boys, Infantry Officer Candidate School.

Nope, he isn't related that I know about. Born in South Dakota, raised in Southern California, Crawford High School graduate. Well thought of By those that knew and wanted to write about him. One of over fifty plus thousand that died in service, names upon a wall.

I have always asked the question, am I worth it? Was their sacrifice, death and effort for me to honor with the best life they could never live? Have I lived up to what they could have done if they hadn't paid the piper? too early, so needlessly? But then I was willing, and I feel a brotherhood with them, as they did their best to win wars and give the next generations their finest gift -- their life and their love. Honor them eternally.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Earl, and yes we DO, WE DO, honor those who didn't come back, regardless of the war...

    ReplyDelete