Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Fears are only to be met...

All ones fears, need to be met and conquered - don't you think?

I had a medical problem, my body wasn't working as it had for years. Went to the doctors and nothing, got a second opinion and there was something but nothing that they could fix... death by recliner sets in and 24 hour mindless mush slowly rots the brain and spirit.

I started out by walking, a little, very slowly. No pain, small gain, but moving. Kept at it, and then added the visits to the YMCA, pick your poison - lots of stuff to do and learn. Then I started to combine a jog with a walk whatever is left. The biggest thing was to get past the little voice in my head that said I didn't have to jog, I didn't need to go so far, so often. I don't jog on Sunday but a rest day is good.

Anyway, the biggest  change is the weather, no rain, and lack of fear that I won't finish the little jog I have around the block, 3.1 miles or 5 kilometers whichever is most impressive. I don't go fast enough yet, but it does make me breath hard and sweat - who could ask for more.

Good health is important as a base, but I think you have to put fitness right after returning to health, your body is designed that way. Fitness is measured by endurance, speed, agility, strength, flexibility and coordination... that is the direction I work on improving them.

I am using my calendars for recording weight, Blood Pressure and activity, using MapMyRun for mapping and measuring routes, and recording workouts. Still, I am not monitoring my heart rate, since I am not training hard enough. I have dropped twenty pounds since joining the YMCA in December, but the next twenty will be tougher to shed - one pound of fat is about 3500 calories, and muscle burns fat better than fat does - duh.




1 comment:

  1. Nice work Earl! I'm glad to see you getting your dangerous-ness back.

    ReplyDelete