Thursday, August 23, 2012

Signs it is coming apart... small signs...

As I prepare to rejoin the work force, lovely category for a life, 'I was one of the work force'. Not as good as police force, political force, brute force, or armed force. But it is honorable and essential.

I have been sent by the retirement services of my wife, to find her W2 from the last three years, I have located two of three. Which I wasn't happy about. I am missing more than I thought these last few years, probably because I haven't been thinking well. One of our home owners came by and asked me to sign a petition against some troubling neighbors. Renters - which shouldn't be a bad term, but if it is said by home owners that live here in that tone of voice - it means they haven't become neighbors they are nuisances. Loud parties, parking to block access, then almost immediately saying we discriminate because we are offended or troubled. The law has been called, restraining orders against the complaining home owners by the renter. They have much more experience protecting their rights in the legal system since they have had more problems... and need more help. Housing assistance to live in our rapidly falling apart development, because it does cost more money than some have, want to be fair. One of those questions that developers, realtors, and county government don't want you to get too close to, in the end they tell you to move to a gated community. They have their money, and will sell you more security, until they up the assistance.

As I found that I couldn't find one W2. I found my forefathers' World War II mementos. Dad had mounted his patches and brass and Marksmanship Medal and stripes on a cardboard. Proud enough to do that , not important enough to spend any time or money upon, he had things to do for family, job and the future. He also didn't much talk about the war, didn't like McArther, was in love with fresh pineapple, thought the Korean Winter was brutally cold in Inchon (occupation forces, cleaning up the harbor 1945-6 ,yes, Dungeys were in Korea that early). His brother would be there for the Korean War, my cousin and I would be there for the Cold War (1968-9). My grandfather Will Dungey hadn't been to war, but joined the American War Dads, one of many patriotic organizations as the nation went to war. He wasn't a joiner, just the Methodist Church, or local Protestant church. He already had a strong family, and work. Don't think he ever thought he needed more. His life was full, he was probably right. My father's most telling statement about the war "I was never nineteen." Which had made a mark on my mother, who believed that her nineteenth year was the best ever. That was the year she was married and had her first child. She thought it was perfect, the child was me, and I was much less than perfect but I did give her some joy. No, that was my sister, Joy, never mind. They won't write an allabout book about us.

Have to go do some more work, for my family, for their future while I watch it all come apart around us. Glad that God loves us, seems lonely and scary sometimes. Can't we get along?

1 comment:

  1. We are trying Earl, can't say much for the other side... sigh

    ReplyDelete