Saturday, August 4, 2012

public land, public range, those that don't care...

Lost everything I wrote the first time.

Although I have problems with private ranges, costing too much and not universally accessible by the public. And I have problems with NRA, Shooting Sports Federation or such -- because they don't work hard enough on getting everyone to learn how to shoot safely, sanely. They are all still making sure someone is shooting well, where they won't get hurt, or cause poor public opinion.

I visited a fine potential shooting range site, and the natural beauty was very nice, but the County and the people that come to trash the area waiting for the maid and janitor to show up and clean up after them. It just makes me so happy not to have to see what their underwear or firearms look like. It was so bad that one of the shooters complained and blamed it on the volunteers from Appleseed. Don't think that county gets another Appleseed, they will have to go to Oregon.

From the unhappy shooter:

"Things I disliked:

1) The weather, although you can't blame Appleseed for 100° heat and wind so strong it was blowing the pop-up tents over!

2) The range. Had any of the volunteers actually been to this place? Now I know why Skamania County is shutting it down: The Blue lake Range looks like a friggen' LANDFILL! I have never in my life seen a shooting range on public land that was as absolutely polluted as this place. "Environmental impact study" my arse. They're closing it because of all the *&%$! that drop their garbage there.

3) Relay shooting. I guess this harkens to #2. If any of the volunteers had been to the range, they would have already known that there was absolutely no way to put 28 shooters on the line. As such, we had to relay shoot which was time consuming and somewhat disorganized."


There were once four or five heavy shooting benches at that range, they are all gone. Reminds me of watching Detroit burning every Halloween, and the people that burn it wondering why it isn't nice any more.

1 comment:

  1. Earl, one thing that John and I do when we go camping in state parks is clean up our campsite from prior campers while keeping our trash, etc. where it is supposed to be. That way the taxpayers get more for their money. Now if only every US citizen did the same.

    ReplyDelete