Saturday, July 21, 2012

Where are the bodies buried?

Every so often, I step off the treadmill and pause. Looking around and wondering how I got there. Seems that I have been looking deeper and finding more failures.

How do you decide that was a fail? Remembering circling an island in Panama a couple times before I realized I wasn't going straight - there were others hoping I knew where I was - I was only close. It must have turned out right, I am no longer in Panama. Lovely jungles.

All of us have stories, things happen, but we are so lucky that we aren't mobbed by television reporters asking how it feels to be shot at and hit. Did you think you were going to die? No, the question I always had was 'Lord, what am I doing here?' especially since I had chosen that profession.

I owe three Airborne berets and one set of Mickey Mouse boots and that is only the tip of an iceberg of things that I didn't do the way it was supposed to be done. People trusted me, and it was a fail. Don't want to pick at the wounds, but they do make me less than what the Lord intended,  Lay down my burden, down by the riverside...

2 comments:

  1. Earl, none of us is perfect, we did the best we could at the time. That we are here today means we weren't total failures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always believed that if I am still around the mission isn't over, gotta keep on keepin' on...

    ReplyDelete