Sunday, June 10, 2012

Olympics and Presidential Election...

Both seem to represent a contest, a struggle for the award, the acclaim, and then getting on with life while glowing with the glory. Considering how important they are, we only close the Olympics down when the world is at war but hold elections during them, I think we, the watching world, should pay much more attention and cheer.

I know I am tired of Media telling me what is important, Bill O'Reilly telling me that Ron Paul wasn't Presidential enough is just like the NRA telling me that this politician is better on Gun Rights, I don't need that to form my opinion. I don't need to only watch the American competitors in London, luckily I have access to Canadian Broadcasting so I will get to see some great efforts. I don't need most of the polling to find out how everyone else is lining up behind this candidate or that question - I sit across the breakfast table with my wife as we talk and fill out our ballots, the number of times we pick different candidates is many more than we would wish, but we aren't a voting block.

All those professionals that craft the public opinions and drum up the vote are a terrible waste of money. Give my household a one page resume with a photograph of the candidate, that is how I am supposed to get my job, except for the picture. Send it to me three weeks prior to the election. Here they print out a voters pamphlet and mostly we get pictures, and goals, and the discussion for or against the items in the ballot that aren't people for office. Good information, the only thing I can get from television is the newest medications to relieve pain, promote pleasure and investing in gold... silly me, that I thought the News coverage would be in depth, sound bites forever, just text me. Lucky me, I don't Twitter.

I don't expect that Main Stream Media will cover shooting sports in the Olympics, even for medal awards they try to pretend that the bad guys are only good with guns. Sigh, like I expected any truth in television.

2 comments:

  1. Like the idea Earl, but that would put a LOT of folks out of work! Hmm... maybe NOT a bad idea for the pol punster crowd :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided not to vote for the Republican candidate for governor in my state because of the nasty commercial against the Democratic candidate that was on TV for about a month which was paid for by the Republican Governors Association. By the time they pulled it (at least I think they pulled it), I had grown to hate the RGA so much and that ad so much that I determined that I would not vote for the Rep. candidate who was never mentioned in said ad. If they want me to vote against something, they gave me the something I will vote against: anyone who profits from that lousy ad.

    ReplyDelete