Tuesday, May 8, 2012

So you want to change, really?

Noted that the people of France voted for more government goodness, that Greece is headed that way and the Americans are going to vote in November. Picking the one that will be good for you, hmm...

How do you do that? Do you pick your bank on hope and change? Do you pick your vehicle on sex appeal and status? Do you throw away you unwanted children when they become impossible teenagers? Do you pick your doctor based on restoring your best years? fewest wrinkles? less fat but more filling?

When I was much younger and foolish (but seldom admitted it) I drank mixed drinks - normally something and Coke. I did finally stop the drinking, when I figured out that drunk didn't look good on me and wasn't adding value to my life. I don't think I need to stop everyone's drinking - just my own and I did. 1972. If I had stopped the sweet drinks and soft candy at the same time I would be richer and  better off. We do make choices and not all the best ones every day and all the time.

During the same teenage years I found out that wife swapping was becoming popular, married couples swinging. Lovely concept for folks that wanted to be hip. It is called adultery in the Bible, seventh sin and really condemned for various reasons by God and Man and all its victims. There are champions of choice, Playboy and others in the gratification industry, and it was the original sin - to taste the fruit of knowledge and blame it on the woman, or the serpent. And for some reason politicians aren't recognized for how hard they work to provide you an Eden, with plenty for all, that comforts your every need...

I have held that I don't trust government goodness, they have been between me and happiness too many times. But you need to understand that I do make choices, and at some point those choices make my life - wonderful, better or as it is and not going to blame it on any but I. I don't watch Wife Swap, or other such shows - I think I have successfully dodged the 'reality' show foolishness - I live in reality, and pretend is a child's game in growing up. Tell me a story.

Tell  me a plan, watch mine  - the plan for our lives is always in motion, sometimes with music and often in the lights or the darkness. Just have to watch out for that serpent trying to get you back into a version of the Garden of Eden. I like to work for my bread, but some folks think I need to work for the bread of others, or that I lust for their children or their power or position.




In my humble opinion one of the best of the commandments, not to covet thy neighbor's... 

1 comment:

  1. Good points Earl, and we 'make' those decisions based on many different reasons, some good, some not so good...

    ReplyDelete