Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Demons in the night...

I do have dreams about the military, mostly not nightmares just dreams. But when I started reading my Kindle edition of the Hunger Games Trilogy I could understand the bad dreams there. I felt real cool. I decided to read the books before wandering to the theater, and since the library has two hundred and some reserves on the first book, I would look into getting the Kindle version if not too expensive. When I am buying virtual books I only want to pay for the author's time not his/her agent's and lawyers. But then the seventy-five cent pulp I once feasted on when I made a dollar an hour, is now ten ninety-nine plus tax or better. So Amazon hooked me up, to download the set (always buy the entire series, otherwise the author may expire before finishing, doing a Robert Jordan). I didn't remember the WiFi password for my home system, so I went to Starbucks for a Mocha Grande, WiFi, and stuffed Leather-like seating. Before I was finished with the Latte I was in the story and hooked. I will confess, the reason I never picked the book up in the book stores was that it was written by a woman, and all my prejudices come right up immediately. Which is silly of me, I grew up on Andre Norton, and love the writings of several current fine authors - but in general I would rather have opened a book by an unknown male, writing from a man's point than a modern woman. Think Gone with the Wind, fine story in many ways - but I never re-read it, it wasn't about a male view of the war. I know why Rhett Butler wouldn't stay, she never did. It is for a young audience, but I can play in the Games and their time of troubles.

Writing of games, I have to confess to playing too many (3) of the Facebook type by Zygna. I started to support my sister's farm, became enchanted with the difference in each virtual farmer and how they would go in different directions and what they would cooperate and help each other out and they finally had a dog, although they never brought rifles to the farm, I built a rifle range anyway. My farm and I would make it like I wanted it. You do know they make those games to make a profit, will allow you to buy stuff with real money for your fantasies? Yeah, they hounded me off of FarmVille with commercials. They decided I wasn't warlike enough in Empires & Allies and so Nuked my Parliament, which caused a budget shortfall, I stopped going there, finally. I couldn't reach the real aggressors, the game designers, and take them out. Anyway, no matter what the designers had built for my mind to play in, they will always want my money to get new tattoos, and fast cars, and such. But if you look at my game I was just playing, building it like I did the ones I had in the dirt at the side of the house, forts, towers, castles and such. Nice, they are on the game servers and don't get in the way when I have other stuff to do.

Now I only play at CastleVille, and it is progressing in the same direction as the other two, I am trying to be a good sport, but Martha Stewart has come to help me enjoy the game more, better.

Sigh. Lady Gaga came to FarmVille and I got a sheep riding a chopper out of her time, now Martha is coming to CastleVille and Colored Egg parties. The game designers don't really appreciate religion or Holy days, but holidays and quaint customs like dying eggs, yeah, they can make some money on Spring picnics and bonnets and baskets with bunnies. She is there where I was playing in the Gloom and banishing little Gloom Rats, Wolves, Thieves, Goblins and Blue Yetis. I visited her Kingdom, there is not a shadow of Gloom, and even the wilds are tame and trimmed and allowing room for riding mowers to cut and clip the grass... ah, girls are supposed to play house and picnic over there - and let me dig in the muck, and build and blow up with my toy soldiers and such

.

My wife wonders why I got up so early today, well, Martha is on the East Coast and I have to stay ahead of her, she isn't helping a dairy herd on a farm - and I have to find out how the movie is going to play, President Snow can't win, can he? Turning pages on a Kindle, no I haven't the Kindle Fire, one thought on more speed and memory - 'They' fill the spaces and fun with ads for something to buy better faster and mind blowing.... I don't have that much time left.

No comments:

Post a Comment