Wednesday, February 25, 2015

When I was news... or just new...

I have always been interested in me, although I could be an expert on procrastination I will never get around to it, and this blog is all about me and what I see. It was not a giant launch to go to Facebook and 'everyone' was on Facebook and then expanding their friends, or unfriending them - what a concept, I can unfriend you. In so many ways I have been a loner I am very surprised I have so many people willing to link to me - some of them are very fine people of a much different view, and I like to listen to them, they could be wrong, but they are making a point I should consider.  And some of them are very quiet, and don't visit very often, they have a real life and don't do virtual with the same passion they do reality.

Facebook makes its money the same way cable and television did - gain audience, deliver the audience to commercial interruption. Which might be why I seem to have misplaced my interest in commercial television. Now, Facebook doesn't intrude into my mind that I notice, oh, there are attempts to see what I will look at, and the real interesting stuff which you must click on gives you an almost automatic page covering ad, that you have to click to remove - stop wasting my time - make me upset enough I am gone.

I still say the best part of Facebook is the postings from folks I care about, but they aren't living on the net, so something different is happening in their lives and they will give me a glimpse in photos or notes. So it is best when they are doing stuff, and come back for a quick note.

Troubling about Facebook, there are some strange people on it. Not in my friends and family, of course, but sometimes when I drop a comment on a post from some one of a different persuasion some ugly vulgar bully shows up to display their beastly best (which isn't very good at all, Oscar Wilde they ain't). And there are the lurkers, the stalkers - waiting in ambush to make a name for themselves because you have a popular post and larger circle of friends, and no one should be that nice - it just isn't fair.  That will never happen to me, I am not nice nor popular - but then I thought that was an artificial standard of public posture, used to keep the children in line and make daily a smooth journey through our time.

I only want to be nice because: my mother would be proud, beautiful women won't cower in fear, children will smile and talk to me (even if I can't catch it all), dogs won't bite nor cringe, and smiles are always better than frowns for promoting a handsome image... and I will always be thankful for that help.

Rumor is that one of my 'friends' may stop her facebooking... is that going to be a verb? She already dumpt blogging, which hurt me because she was good. Seems she has gotten to the point that Facebook doesn't satisfy, plowing through a stoney field isn't easy nor necessary if you are just grazing cattle, only if you are going to plant. We would miss her, but the world still has her - somewhere doing real life better. Kind of like my favorite pastor moving on, can't stop going to church because it wasn't about the pastor, I can stop going to Facebook when it no longer meets my needs and enjoyment. No long term contract.




3 comments:

  1. I think people ARE getting burned out on all the 'computer' time... Facebook, blogging, forums, etc. There IS a real world out there, and maybe, just maybe a few people are deciding that is more rewarding than sitting in front of a computer all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people ARE getting burned out on all the 'computer' time... Facebook, blogging, forums, etc. There IS a real world out there, and maybe, just maybe a few people are deciding that is more rewarding than sitting in front of a computer all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The internet will be there when you need an answer from Wikipedia, when you find something to share, when you want to wrestle with the devil you know and the one you musn't. But real life, has a flavor and smell the monitors and speakers just never convey your way.

    ReplyDelete