Friday, May 11, 2012

We want to feel so superior to those unfortunate....

I was wondering why dollars count so much, they aren't what they were when Lincoln worked for a dollar a day, and those were long days. They are easy to count, they are useful, but really if they were made of lead and you had to count, carry and protect them - they would quickly be too much.

When I was in uniform and off to fight the godless Communists, I was often looked down upon by those that successfully avoided uniformed service in their nations' defense. And so many from the political leadership of the last many years were them. Now they thank me for my service, should I thank them for not messing up my military? They really were superior to me, they make more dollars, they don't really have to think about getting killed and their family going on without them, they are secretly smug now. Watching what has happened to the culture and the media and the direction of the country unless something very different is done... I am glad they weren't in uniform with me.

It will soon be Memorial Day, and if you don't have one of your own to think about on the real day and the observed day... there are many names on walls, plaques and lists of those that didn't come home alive. I have one that died on Bunker's Hill in 1775, he had lots of daughters that carried his memory on. There were, like all wars, people in power and position that felt superior to the combatants in Boston that year; smarter, safer and sane... and not in love with their fellow men, country or cause to risk anything and everything to advance into tomorrow better than yesterday. Memorial Day, remember the fallen that gave their lives so we could be so superior to those that never served, never risked. Do we have something worth dying for? 

3 comments:

  1. Well said Earl. WE (the military WE) have left our blood on many soils the world over... Those who want to play games with that sacrifice better NOT let me hear their comments, or I WILL react.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes one is just stupid when one is young. I still am a basic pacifist, but I have learned over the years that there are times when a country must go to war. (Why don't you mention our conscientious objecter grandfather? He was still in the military as an ambulance driver during WWI; he just didn't fight.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You haven't read all my blogs or you would know I have often mentioned him. But that wasn't the point of this post.

    ReplyDelete