Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Of all the stuff to add to my worry about list...

That list of things to avoid, CBS 60 Minutes finally had an expose on Sugar as a toxin. Although they didn't come out and tell Congress to ban it, their experts were against it for good solid scientific reasons. This is not a new concept that many of human dietary problems can be eliminated by going back to un-refined foods. Or just a little won't hurt, everything in moderation. One of the illustrations was that the brain treats sugar being tasted as starting the pleasure receptors in the brain! Just like other addictions. Good, I will be throwing out pies, cakes and Girl Scout cookies with the ice cream in the future.

I have decided that my health issues are all because of Vietnam and my poor adaptation to the entirely too rich diet of America... if only I could move around more, I came back from Vietnam a skinny young man, and I ate everything in sight, John Wayne bars, C's, candy from home, breads, potatoes... lots of sodas full of sugar, and I didn't drink coffee black then either... but it was really hot! I always thought that the heat kept my body lean, fat fools really suffered until the body weight came down. And I wasn't that physically active, a little swimming, a little lifting artillery rounds when there was an important mission I wasn't computing data for... yeah, I read a lot, wrote a bunch and threw knives, swung in a hammock when nothing was going on but I had to be present - awaiting a call for fire.

Anyhow, I am working very hard on returning to my physical peak, which was around thirty-two or so... This is my blog and I will expand on the little I am really doing as much as possible. But really, today is a bit of recovery day since I am driving my wife to appointments, work and then picking her up. So I will hit the treadmill, exercises, and dry fire of the M1 rifle when she gets home. No excuse not to, here.

The picture is of Drill Sergeant Oliver, once as my assistant in my platoon, great leader, became a Houston policeman and later a sheriff's deputy, liked his S&W 357 revolver, it was interesting shooting it on the Army ranges beyond the distance the Army thought one should engage targets with handguns. They did go down when hit. He was a great friend, found me a few years before he passed on in his second bout against cancer, our Senior Drill Sergeant looked me up and told me, caught me up to all they had done. We may go down, but we can go down hard, and swinging. Oliver was very impressed with the fact that cows could and would jump his patrol car. One of those friends I want to meet in Heaven, a foot washing Baptist he claimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment