Saturday, March 10, 2012

See what reading gets you....


Long ago, my mother made sure I liked books, stories and the Bible. So I had nursery rhymes and poetry, picture books and somewhere along there came Dr. Seuss and to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street. Cartoons in the newspapers, comics books by Disney. I had it all, and it was never enough so I was always looking for more - adventures and stuff. I started Zane Grey, then found Tarzan, and jumped to John Carter of Mars. Which likely helped me into Science Fiction, when I started noticing busty babes on the pulp fictions I went right into Mike Hammer and others. No one told me that they were Westerns set in modern America.

Today I dragged my wife off to see John Carter by Disney, in 3D! Yeah, do I remember the story? Is the new movie faithful to the books? Well, it has been so long that I can't tell you, but like a Frazetta poster, it was true to the vision in my mind. Lots of fun and if I were to complain, it would be of the hero with four day beard growth and shaved (or waxed?) chest. But young people today think everyone is like that. Go see, it is a fun movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment